Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Off to Haiti

Woke this morning to a 240 pound 6'5" male atop me. opened my eyes as he pressed his nose against mine and looked into my eyes. "iF YOU GET HURT OR CATCH SOME FATAL DISEASE. I am going to beat you when you get home.

Very funny. That is his way of saying he loves me, take care of myself and he is proud of me. He has decided he will drive me to San Antonio today so we can have some time together alone with outside interferences before I go. He is concerned because typhoid and cholera have reared their ugly head in Haiti. But my shots are up to date.

I talked to Dr. Mac and now I know why he wanted me. His P.A. (Physicians Asst) refused to go and he needs a closer. That means he operates, I close. I thought I was doing triage--oh well. I still would haven't been able to refuse.

The news reports makes it sound like the U.S. is keeping the doctors and supplies out when the President of Haiti is the one who has refused to let the U.S. drop a military force--afraid of losing power???? So the U.S. wouldn't let anyone in without protection (Except those doctors & nurses from Florida who got in as soon as it happened and have suffered for it. IT has been very dangerous for them--that hasn't been reported.

True the violent looters don't have guns, yet. But I have seen what a machete can do to someone.

When planes set down they were being attacked before the could unload so they sent helicopters and dumped the water and food.

Things finally have gotten so bad now the president of Haiti has changed his tune and is blaming the U.S. for lack of aid.

Looks like I will be going in Tuesday with the Doctors without Borders and their crew along with military support.

Taking sunscreen, lots of bug repellent and long sleeve shirts to protect my arms from bugs along with my scrubs. I will drop a line each day if I can.

No comments please unless you have a question. I just won't have time to read them.

Keep you all close in my heart and hope your lives run smooth while I am gone (and when I am back). Those of you who write, keep writing.

Signed up for two weeks. But if Mac stays so will I.

Love to you all

B♥♥♥

No comments: