Sunday, August 23, 2009

RUNNING WAY

After the hell of last night's work and the fact I've been up over 24 hours and am tired as hell...I had decided to give up the human race and become a hermit. By seven a.m. I hated everyone.

Skip this paragraph if squeamish)
Had a gangbsnger get sliced sternum to pubic Bone and all his intestines hanging out. Two hours I helped the Trauma resident carefully replace them inside him careful not to twist or pinch off any part. Had to put him in an abdominal binder to hold him in till he was stabilized for morning surgery. Handcuffed to the bed with a cop sitting beside him he woke and demanded more pain med. Heroin user. Of course I had to refuse. The resident came and told him no, so he did a roundhouse swing and clipped me on the chin, luckily the officer was fast and caught me before I hit the floor. THEN the little asshole undid his binder 'ti punish us'


And since it took another two hours I guess he did (insert scream here). We restrained him. He called us every filthy word you can think of. Too bad we can't gag them.

This set the tone for the rest of the morning. Had a patient code on me right before time to get off so had to stay another hour for paperwork, (Patient was revived).

My sister Carolyn who seems to have a mental connection to me called as I was leaving and said "Let's go to Jackson Hole." She already ordered her plane ready and had her travel agent to make arrangements for us to go on the two day waterfall hike with a ranger in Yellowstone.

No cell phones, no computers no reception in Yellowstone due to the cauldron I think. SO don't anybody think I have deserted you with my sudden lack of comments. I'll be back in a week, leaving 6 am Saturday. ALL OF YOU TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES AND I will give you a yell when I get back. Hopefully more relaxed.

Though sometime in September will have to go to Richmond, Va to see the outlaws. Love my Mom in law, but my Father in law...

Love you all...wear your seat belts and stay away from the knife and gun clubs.

Barbra

5 comments:

val said...

Knifings happoen here - there was quite a spate a while ago, young men dying - but shootings, thankfully, are few. Your description sounds a bit like the scene from Catch 22 where the guy's guts spill out on the plane. That was fictional and it was bad enough. I can't imagine taking that trouble with a guy who then abuses you. I hope your jaw is OK.

Enjoy your break in the wilderness. You may not want to come back!

Anonymous said...

You certainly deserve your break - savour the peace!

Eliza said...

By the time I read this I think you had been on your trip..I hope it revived you a little.

I don't know how you do what you do anyway, I just stand and admire

fuzzytweetie said...

You are an AMAZING person and a wonderful woman to give of your life and services to the public, no matter what kind of person THEY are. Hope it was a great trip!

Outerbankschick said...

Not squeamish at all. My sis is in ER nurse. She's seen some crazy stuff, too.

I used to live in Richmond. Tough place.