Friday, May 15, 2009

TRAVELING ITALY



Well I finally figured out a way to send my blogging through to my husband and hopefully it will be posted okay on blogger.

We flew into Rome after a stopover in Amsterdam, no I did not partake of the legal drugs or legal prostitution. My sister rented a car in Rome and we drove up to Tuscany. The landscape reminds me of Tennessee, only sheep and pigs instead of cows and horses and strange trees. And of course the occasional crumbling fortress in the distance. And no roadside animals like rabbits or deer.

We spent two days in Florence, Here's a couple of pictures not shown when I visited before. Would like to have shot DAVID but they are relentless on watching to be sure no pictures are taken inside.
So...

Copy of David outside the museum.


A cathedral too large to fit in one picture.




Then we went to Assisi. Don't know if I could live there. Everything is at a 45 degree angle. Walking the streets are a killer. We started at St. Assisi the climbed up to the Temple of Minerva built during the time of Christ, now a Christian Church half way through town. Everything is covered in gold inside. And on each side of the altar remain the drains for the blood of human sacrifices 2000 years ago.

Coming to the City of Assisi looking up


The Church



The Temple


The Drain for blood sealed with concrete.


The altar.


The fortress at the top of the city. I was not up to making the walk upwards any further so this shot is as close as I got.


Assisi is a monastery with only men residing, so looking down from the city is a Cathedral or not being Catholic maybe called a nunnery, where there are only women.


And just a shot of the grade of the road in this city up up up or down down down.


Now, we are traveling to Rome, but have stopped at a nice rustic inn for the afternoon and night. With the aid of my sister's little AT&T plugin for satellite connection I'll try to blog and write a bit, hopefully. Thinking of you all, some a lot closer--just a country or two away and a Channel instead of an ocean.

Will try to drop another blog after we leave Rome for Capri.

Ciao.

3 comments:

val said...

I thought Assissi was devastated by an earthquake a few years ago? Looks like they did a great job of putting it back together again.

I have had a spoof "pin-up" of David pinned to the inside of my wardrobe for many years. I think it's a wonderful sculpture.

Anonymous said...

Ah, you're doing 'The Grand Tour' that I did about 20 years ago! Florence is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. All I remember about Assissi is how steep it was and being told not to drink or use the tap water under ANY circumstances. You even had to use bottled water to clean your teeth with!

Watch yourself in Rome by the way. I was there a couple of years ago and a LOT of our party were pick-pocketed. Not only did money disappear but passports too. Be very careful.

fuzzytweetie said...

WOW!!!! You lucky girl......